Although the Balvodie EfW plant is 15 years old, a devastating fire in 2012 left the plant inoperable. Following refurbishment and boiler upgrade works, the site receives 120,000 tonnes of waste a year collected from Dundee, Angus and Aberdeenshire council areas. The plant generates 10.5 MWe with 8.3 MWe exported to National Grid.
Fichtner’s activities included;
- support during the recruitment of key O&M personnel,
- assistance in the current maintenance requirement for the steam turbine,
- steam and water system maintenance and preparation for start up;
- bag filter refurbishment, and;
- review of current maintenance arrangements for key equipment and establishing future O&M activities.
Fichtner also provided support for staff training and reviewed shift routines, reviewed operating procedures and provided input in to the 2014-15 repairs and renewals budget and the 2014-15 CAPEX budget.
Following the successful completion of the reinstatement works which were managed by Fichtner, DERL the operators and owners of the Baldovie EfW, posted a profit for the first time in 15 years.