After successfully supporting the development, procurement, and funding of the project, Fichtner was engaged as the Owners Engineer for the construction of the 49MW EfW.
Once completed, the Protos Energy Recovery Facility will be able to provide treatment for 400,000 tonnes of non-recyclable waste annually, further aiding the UK on its way to meeting its target of reducing the amount of waste sent to landfill to 10% by 2035.
Construction of the facility began in 2020 and is expected to reach completion by 2024. During the construction phase and under our role as OE, Fichtner is providing full-time project management and engineering support, including:
- Review of contract documents and familiarisation with defined obligations and procedures
- Detailed review of each Contractor’s Quality Assurance procedures
- Site Representative on communication with any third-party organisations, including local authorities & inspection agencies
- Attending design review meetings for each discipline (process, I&C, mechanical, electrical)
- Expedite and attend HAZCON and HAZOP studies
- Witnessing of Off-Site Tests and Inspections
- Final inspection of plant by all disciplines to confirm completion of construction and issue agreed snagging and incomplete works schedules
- Review the Test Plan covering testing, commissioning, and Take Over Testing procedures
When fully operational, the facility will function within the Protos Energy and Resource Hub, providing local energy intensive businesses with low carbon energy via a cluster of innovative power generation technologies.