On Thursday 23rd July 2015 a fire occurred within the Transport Loading Station (TLS) at the Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) at Bayley Street, Stalybridge. The TLS suffered damage due to the fire and smoke.
Following negotiations with the Loss Adjusters it was agreed the remedial works required were to remove and replace as new; all secondary steelwork and cladding, high level and emergency lighting, dust suppression system, fire alarm system & aspiration system, CO monitoring system and undertake repair works to concrete pushwalls, which included steel plating to one of the bays. We were able to agree the costs, competitively tender (3 contractors per discipline), draw up contracts and let the works to enable a start sate on site by the 24th August, ultimately reducing the BI costs associated with unavailability.
Fichtner’s role covered all aspects of the remedial works for this contract, including;
- attend site following the removal of fire waters and fire damaged waste;
- carry out an initial survey for the purpose of discussion with the Loss Adjusters;
- agree scope with the Loss Adjusters.
- produce technical specifications for all disciplines;
- produce Construction Phase Plans and issue to the contractors;
- engage contractors willing to tender for the works;
- carry out a tender analysis;
- produce a multi discipline programme;
- ward the major contract to maintain programme.
- apply for the F10 notice necessary for this type of works;
- produce Pre tender Health and Safety phase plans on behalf of the client
- acting as PC/PD set up site compound including site security fencing, welfare facilities and lay down areas;
- award the rest of the contracts for the works to follow the cladding removal and replacement;
- produce weekly reports to the client
- monitor and track the programme, bringing forward certain disciplines to maintain programme;
- produce weekly safety reports;
- monthly cost trackers and reviewing and signing off monthly invoices;
- finish the job on programme.
Post Construction Phase;
- compile individual O&Ms into one large Health and safety file;
- produce a detailed snagging list;
- programme the snags and pass to the client;
- complete final accounts for review by the Loss Adjuster.
The Bayley Street project represents a new venture for Fichtner, with our team undertaking the Principal Contractor role for the re-build works, following a fire in the facility in June 2015. With excellent feedback from our client, Fichtner managed a 17 week programme from commencement on-site.