The 35,000 tonne anaerobic digester facility treats organic waste from Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan. The facility generates biogas which fuels a CHP unit producing power to service the neighbouring Welsh Water treatment works and provide heat to maintain the process. An open windrow composting facility will also be implemented to treat green waste to produce compost.
Fichtner’s services as Owner’s Engineer include:
- Project administration
- Technical support
- Monitor health and safety at site
- Witness factory acceptance tests
- Monitor quality and ensure quality levels expected are attained
- Assess construction completion
- Assess facility biological stability
- Acceptance test witnessing; and
- Chairing of hazard and operability (HAZOP) workshop
The Cardiff AD and Organic Waste Composting facility is a key facility in achieving Cardiff’s commitment to meet the statutory Welsh Government targets as we work towards their ‘Zero Waste’ goal for 2050.