Fichtner conducted a study to compare battery electric vehicles (BEVs) and hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs) for typical passenger vehicles.
Comparison areas included:
- Vehicle energy capacity
- Vehicles range from a single refuel/ recharge
- Vehicle energy use per distance travelled
- Refuelling/recharging time
- Total greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from fuel production and preparation
- Overall well-to-wheel energy use per distance travelled
We collected publicly available information about passenger BEVs and FCEVs. This information was used for the analysis required for the comparison areas. The output of this work resulted in a Fichtner report detailing the methodology used for the comparison, a database of passenger BEVs and FCEVs and UK GHG calculations for BEV charging and hydrogen production and processing for FCEVs.