Originally engaged to support the assessment of the heat and power needs of the paper mill, Fichtner has supported the development of the new ‘K3’ Energy from Waste plant from concept stage.
Fichtner supplied wide ranging engineering support from the conceptual stage of the project, including;
- feasibility study into the new thermal power plant to provide heat and power to the paper mill;
- development of detailed cost model for the project;
- production of a model to manage how the steam exported from the EfW Plant would be integrated into the existing paper mill steam network;
- production of specification and contract;
- support in the negotiation of the contract.
Fichtner has worked for DS Smith for a period of more than 10 years in the development of the waste CHP project. The project was awarded a ‘Contract for Difference’ which provides the project with provide long-term electricity price stabilisation to low carbon plant. The state of the art CHP facility, providing power to the grid and steam to the paper mill.