Based in Kings Lynn, Norfolk, Palm Paper operates a state of the art recycled paper manufacturing facility that is home to one of the largest and most powerful newsprint paper machines in the world. The mill has an output production of approx. 450,000 tons of newsprint per year and supplies many of UK’s regional and national newspaper publishers. It also produces a variety of other paper types for coldset, heatset and litho printing processes.
In our engineering role, our services included;
- preparation of the technical sections of planning and PPC applications for the new mill;
- preparation of the air quality elements, including complete air dispersion modelling.
We also provided comprehensive technical support with the development of the new paper mill including;
- review of options for power and heat supply for new recycled newsprint plant;
- review of options for paper sludge disposal;
- assistance in discussions with the Environment Agency on planning and permitting issues, including the preparation of the PPC Permit application;
- technical input and advice to the general project, including the EIA and planning application;
- support on identifying and receiving sources of funding;
- assistance with developing and procuring electrical and gas connections.
After many years operating a UK sales office for these products Palm Paper took the decision to install a new paper machine for Newsprint in King’s Lynn. This represents the first major UK investment in the paper industry in the last decade.