Riverside Resource Recovery facility is on the south bank of the River Thames and most of the waste and all of the bottom ash are conveyed by barge on the river. The site is the largest, most efficient Energy from Waste facility to be built under limited recourse finance arrangements in the UK. It has a capacity of up to 670,000 tpa of municipal waste, is rated at 72 MWe with a plant efficiency of circa 27%.
As Owner’s Engineer our role included;
- project management;
- site supervision;
- quality control and management services;
- planning and local consultations;
- production of specifications and bid evaluation;
- contractor selection and negotiation of EPC contract;
- expert witness at Public Inquiry under Section 36 of the Electricity Regulations;
- preparation and submission of IPPC application.
The Riverside RRF when commissioned was the UK’s largest and most efficient EfW project, and set new standards for the performance of EfW plants. The plant utilises an innovative jetty which allows the majority of the waste processed in the plant to be delivered by barge on the River Thames, keeping over 100,000 HGVs off the city’s roads each year and making a real contribution to London’s ability to meet its landfill diversion targets.