The project included development of the technical specification for retrofit installation of a new biomass CHP plant into an existing large fossil fuel CHP complex. The plant is now an operational biomass plant generating 30MW of electricity and burns a mixture of recycled and virgin wood.
Fichtner supported Sembcorp throughout the development and construction of the project providing;
- review of potential locations for the biomass boiler;
- production of a thermodynamic cycle model;
- conceptual design of the project;
- review of fuel composition and availability;
- development of the Contract and Specifications for the project;
- supporting the contractor negotiations and contract award;
- review of environmental issues;
- technical and project management support through the construction and commissioning phases.
Developed by Sembcorp Utilities UK, the Wilton 10 biomass power station became the UK’s first large scale ‘wood to energy’ plant when it began full commercial operations at Wilton in the autumn of 2007.